Ahead of the 2019 Session of the United Nations High Level Political Forum (HLPF) on Sustainable Development (HLPF), to be held in New York from July 9 – 18, Together 2030 launches its position paper with key messages to governments and stakeholders engaged in the follow up and review of the 2030 Agenda. The paper focuses on the theme for this year’s HLPF ‘Empowering people and ensuring inclusiveness and equality” and also provides recommendations for all the goals under review, namely:
• Goal 4. Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
• Goal 8. Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
• Goal 10. Reduce inequality within and among countries
• Goal 13. Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
• Goal 16. Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
• Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development.
The paper also raises concerns around participation, accountability and transparency and briefly addresses the upcoming HLPF review scheduled for the 74th Session of the General Assembly.
We thank our Global Advocacy Working Group members who have contributed to the elaboration of this paper.